Welcome to the Playroom at 14 Peonystreet!

Why we call it the 'Playroom': the place whence objects pleasing to the eye are brought from the drawing board to reality, after much discussion with the ancestors.....

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Easy Baby Quilt to Make


Occasionally, I get asked to make a baby quilt on short notice, like lately. I didn’t feel too much like ordering any new fabric, so I looked around at what I already had in my stash. I found a free pattern and a Charm Square pack I had set aside- so here we go!

This is an Easy baby quilt that you can make from one Charm Square pack of 5 inch squares (36 squares). It’s based on a design by Kate Spain- which you can get here: http://www.unitednotions.com/fp_verna.pdf 

 
I only made a couple changes–I used a two and a half inch (unfinished) square for the very middle of the quilt, and instead of the 2 ½ inch inner border, I made it 1 ½ inches for a finished 1 inch inner border- the purple and green polka dot.

The Charm Pack I used is The Three Bears Collection by Darlene Zimmerman from Robert Kaufman Fabrics. Don’t know if you could find these anymore, as it was from a few years ago. But there are SO MANY great fabrics out these days, I’m sure you won’t have any trouble finding a Charm Pack to use instead of this one.

You can make the top in an afternoon. I used all fabrics I had already, so it was quite easy, but did have to purchase backing and binding. Quilting is a large "X" in the alternate squares, and a lopsided five point star in the other blocks, with meandering in the border.
This quilt finished size was 39 inches square.


Voila! One Baby Quilt, ready to go!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin