Welcome to the Playroom at 14 Peonystreet!

This blog started in the "playroom". That's what DH calls artwork- playing. Wish I could live in the "playroom" forever.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I'm a Pastel - ly Girl!

Issue #17 of Fresh Vintage from Fig Tree and
Free Pattern: "Chantilly"
~
Look what came in the mail today! (above photo)
Minus the cotton--- it's cotton pickin' time here,
so had to include my favorite fiber!
~
Granny Lil's Bowtie Quilt, circa. 1970
~
Back around 15 year ago, or so, I was fairly new to making quilts. I was told by a friend that I was "pastel-ly", meaning all my color choices were of the pastel kind. You know, pinks, pale colors of the feminine kind. For some reason, I took that as a bad thing, and I felt I had to change. Dark country colors were (and are) popular then. I felt I had to make a concerted effort to stay away from choosing pastel colors, so I did. I still have my fabric stashes from back then-- the choices I made were all dark and subdued. These still come in handy if I'm making a certain style quilt.
~
But now, many years later, I am more comfortable in my own skin and am not afraid to say "I am a Pastel-ly girl!" Fig Tree and Moda fabrics have been making the colors I truely love in their fabric lines. They have the colors now, I wish I had back then, when "pastel" seemed to be a dirty word in the quilting world.
~
I learned a lot about value and contrast in fabric colors, so I can't say all that time was wasted while I played with those dark country colors.
~
Now I'm proud of what I choose and am confident in myself. And if anyone said to me now that I was a "pastel-ly" girl, I'd say, "Why yes, I am!" and not be afraid of anyone else's opinion of me. By the way, I love the bright colors too, such as those designed by Kaffe Fassett. I was told once, by a passerby, "Well, I guess someone has to like that stuff!" Give you two guesses who said that? Yeah, it was a person who was buying dark country colors at a quilt shop.
~
It takes all kinds to make the world go round.
~
Don't be afraid to show YOUR true colors.
~
Be true to yourself and you will be a lot happier earlier in life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin