Welcome to the Playroom at 14 Peonystreet!

Why we call it the 'Playroom': the place whence objects pleasing to the eye are brought from the drawing board to reality, after much discussion with the ancestors.....

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vintage 1948 Singer Sewing Machine


Vintage 1948 Singer
~
I have been collecting sewing machines for several years now. My favorites are the vintage Singers. I love sewing on these machines! It seems like no matter how old they are, as long as they're not rusted out, they sew beautifully!! When found, they usually need a little TLC-- cleaning and oiling, maybe a new belt. I "found" this one and it needed a new electric cord, so I had one put on. It also needed a new belt, and a little rubber ring on the "gizmo" that you wind the bobbins with.

I feel you just can't go wrong with these old machines.  This one came  with a straight stitch foot and a couple bobbins-  no manual, but you can still get parts for these-just do a search online.

The tension is great, it makes the best straight stitch you'll ever find. I love sewing on these old machines because I feel like I'm sewing on a piece of history, and feel connected to all the people who've used it before me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin