Welcome to the Playroom at 14 Peonystreet!

This blog started in the "playroom". That's what DH calls artwork- playing. Wish I could live in the "playroom" forever.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Kathryn Tucker Windam

Kathryn Tucker Windham

It sure doesn't take much to make me cry these days.  Today was one of them.  I was listening to the local NPR radio station, and there were stories about this wonderful lady, who died June 12. 

I never met her, only heard her voice on the radio.  She has that "perfect" southern drawl and a wonderful way of telling stories that just sticks in your head- and your heart.

I tried to get a link to the one rememberance of a close family friend who attended her funeral.  There is a link, but  there's only a part of that story on the first link-- the very last person in that recording- who was holding her hand when she died.  I can't tell the story as well as he can, but it will stick in my head, as I could picture the whole scenario-- without seeing any pictures or videos or t.v. interviews.   That is the power of words. 

This friend, who attended her funeral, relayed how they were all given combs to play at the gravesite, the song, "I'll Fly Away", and how when they each shoveled dirt on top of her pine coffin, it was like "tucking her in."   Good night, sweet Kathryn.  We will miss you.

Comments about Kathryn
http://www.wlrh.org/Schedule/aodetail.asp?AODID=126

Kathryn on Storytelling  - Hear her voice for yourself
http://www.wlrh.org/Schedule/aodetail.asp?AODID=124

1 comment:

Angela said...

That is a sweet remembrance.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin